>

Monday, February 25, 2013

Cornmeal Waffles

Cornmeal Waffles
Adapted from epicurious.com


My quest for the ultimate cornmeal waffles is over because I have found the most amazing cornmeal waffle recipe. I've been on a waffle craze the last two weekends. Partly because my husband loves waffles and I love the challenge to make healthy waffles he will enjoy. I made an Almond Flour Waffle last weekend which we enjoyed and this weekend, I made a cornbread waffle. While I thought that cornbread waffles turned out good, I still wanted to continue my search for a better one. I came across this recipe which I think is the ULTIMATE cornmeal waffles. After my first bite of these waffles, my search is over. I can't imagine there could be a better cornmeal waffle recipe more superior than this recipe I'm about to post. If you love cornbread, you will love these waffles. And the best part is that it's 100% WHOLE-GRAIN. What I love about these waffles besides tasting like a very delicious cornbread, these waffles are crispy on the exterior and tender and light on the interior. It has a bit of a grainy texture from the cornmeal, but this is the texture of cornbread. This recipe does not contain any type of sweeteners, but you can add some sweetness to this batter if you like. If you are going to eat these waffles with maple syrup (hopefully 100% pure) or any type of syrup of your choice, you don't need to add any sweetener to this batter. I'm thinking these waffles will be perfect along with something savory, like Chicken a la King or even a thick chili or a hearty stew or even fried chicken (chicken and waffles). Waffles are not only served for breakfast. It's becoming a trend on the west coast to serve waffles with something savory.

1 cup WHITE whole wheat flour (4.3 ounces)
1 cup Bob's Red Mill brand FINE grind cornmeal (4.8 ounces)
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs (5.4 to 5.7 ounces)
2 cups well-shaken cultured low-fat buttermilk (16 ounces)
6 tablespoons organic unrefined coconut oil or butter, melted (3 ounces)


In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well with a whisk to combine all the ingredients together. Set aside.


In a large-size bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the buttermilk and whisk together until blended. Add the coconut oil and whisk everything together until well blended.


Add the flour mixture all at once to the buttermilk mixture and stir gently with a pastry fork or a whisk just until combined. Set aside to thickened for about 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron for about 15 to 20 minutes. Coat waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 3/4 cup of batter for two 4-inch thick waffles onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to the edges with a spatula. Cook for 4 minutes or until steaming stops. Repeat cooking procedure with remaining batter.


Serve waffles with 100% pure maple syrup over waffles.
 
Keep waffles warm by placing waffles on a baking sheet lined with a wire rack, uncovered, in the center of a preheated oven at 200 degrees.
 
Store any leftover waffles in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. To reheat, place waffles in a toaster.

Yield eleven 4-inch thick waffles

One waffle with 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup is about 245 calories. Each waffle is about 195 calories and 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup is about 50 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment