>

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Baked Tofu

Baked Tofu

Here is an ingenious kitchen tool which I cannot stop talking about. It's a tofu press which I think is a great handy kitchen tool to have. I purchased my tofu press from Amazon.com. What I love about this tofu press is that it easily presses out all the water from the tofu without wasting a lot of paper towel and finding heavy plates/objects to balance on top of your tofu to press out the water. The tofu press is one gadget I am so glad I had purchased. You can learn more about the tofu press from the maker of this press: TofuXpress.com. I bake a lot of tofu, so I really love this gadget.

There are various ways to bake tofu, but I like my tofu very simple and plain where the tofu is versatile in any grain salads, pasta or rice dishes. You can purchase baked tofu in most supermarket or health food stores, but baked tofu are a pit pricey. Baking your own tofu tastes better and has a better texture, besides being inexpensive to making your own. Well...the tofu press may be a bit pricey, but well worth the investment. Here's how the tofu press works:
.

The tofu press consists of a container (to contain the tofu) and a top (presses down on the tofu). The top consists of 3 parts which easily comes apart.



Remove the tofu from its packaging (I purchase a 14-ounce package of extra-firm tofu and it fits perfectly into the tofu press). Then place the tofu into the container. After attaching the top to the container, you can see immediately that the water is starting to press out of the tofu. I usually let this sit overnight in the refrigerator.


The next day, you can see a lot of water pressed out of the tofu. Pour out all the water into the sink and your tofu is now ready for cooking.



Here is a basic recipe for baked tofu. I like to cut my tofu into cubes and then toss with a tablespoon of olive oil (or Garlic-Infused Olive Oil) and some salt to taste.


Bake in the center of a preheated 400-degree oven. Bake for 20 minutes, turn each cube over and bake for additional 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. I can eat the tofu just baked this way as a snack and other times I like to toss them with Maangchi's seasoned sauce (yangnyeomjang) which is great eaten with rice or soba noodles.

What is your favorite way to bake tofu?

2 comments:

  1. wow, I didn't even know they made such a thing! we use an upside down plate weighed with the cast iron teapot and lots of paper towels... so medieval. this looks way cooler! I wonder if you can use it to make tofu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foodhoe: No, I don't think you can use the TofuXpress to make tofu because this gadget presses out the water from the tofu and does a really good job of it.

      Delete